Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Help needed

Hi,



I've just bought a Lenovo T401i and an OCZ Vertex 2 80gb SSD.



Using thinkvantage recovery, I backed up the files into my 16gb USB drive.

However, when I replace the thinkpad hard disk with the SSD and plugged in the USB boot drive, my computer could only recognize the SSD and said there was 'no bootable partition' within my usb. Why is that so and what should Ido?



Any help would be much appreciated. I have browsed around the forum but there seems to be a paucity of information related. Thanks again!



Larahir

Reply 1 : Help needed

Further information:



1. When Itried to boot, this message appeared:



PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

No bootable partition in table.



I have already changed the bios to boot USB FDD first...

Reply 2 : Help needed

Well, I'll take a very basic stab at your situation:



* No telling what happened to the USB backup at this point.



* You -do- have the old hard drive, righto? (Never discard original until the replacement is proven to work).



* You need to debug your backup on the USB, so -if- you have the old/original hard drive, swap that back in and boot it up; check things out.



* Your backup -to- the USB is likely not bootable, so you need another approach to what is, effectively, cloning the hard drive to your new SSD. I don't use thinkvantage recovery, but I'd guess it didn't copy over boot info to your usb gizmo drive. Backing up files is -not- the same thing as cloning a drive.



SO, all of the above said, I'd recommend you start over. If you have limited experience cloning new drives and setups, either get some local help or research this thoroughly on the web before starting again.



What -most- people do is something like this:



* Backup the original drive to somewhere; another drive connected via USB port is an example. A second (D:) partition on the original drive might be another location.



* Either hook up the new drive and restore the backup directly to the new drive, -or- boot up the restore software via a CD/DVD and have it run the restore to the new drive.



* Swap drives, boot & test the new drive.



The above process works best if you have capability for -both- new & old drives to be hooked up to your laptop at the same time. Otherwise, it gets more complicated.





If you did something like dispose of, wipe, or other misc. thing to render your original drive useless, then you're learning the hard way(as most experienced users do at some point) that you -never- scratch a drive or make too many changes at once. Doing so is asking for disaster...

Reply 3 : Help needed

Thanks for your help!



1.) yes, I do have my original hard drive (the one that came with the notebook). There is no valuabel information in there though, it's brand new. I only want to extract the windows from it and install it into my SSD



2.) There are some new developments. I borrowed a USB docking station from my friend and Iwas able to connect the SSD to it. So I have my Thinkpad (with stock HDD in it) connected to a dock with SSD on it. Is there a way that I can 'clone' the HDD into the SSD? What software would help? Would thinkvantage do the trick?

Reply 4 : Help needed


Quote:








Originally Posted by larahir
View Post

Is there a way that I can 'clone' the HDD into the SSD? What software would help? Would thinkvantage do the trick?



ThinkVantage utilities won't help you. You need something that you can create into a bootable CD.



Acronis TrueImage is a good solution, though you'll have to pay a few bucks for it; the Home version should do well enough. It may be that the 30-day trial edition will work too. Install it on a system other than your ThinkPad, create a bootable Rescue CD, and use it to clone one drive to the other.



I've used the free Clonezilla Live CD to do this too, but Clonezilla isn't nearly so user-friendly, and unfortunately, it won't clone from a bigger disk to a smaller one, even if the files will fit, so that's out in this case (I'm guessing your hard drive is probably larger than the SSD you're installing).

Reply 5 : Help needed

Isn't Thinkvantage Rescue and Recovery suppose to have a create bootable recovery DVD option?

Reply 6 : Help needed

Yes, but the OP decided to use a USB flash drive instead of CD+DVDs. I suspect something went awry during the procedure. (I gather that the USB drive must have been formatted as FAT32 instead of NTFS. But, in general, I'm not familiar with the USB scheme to offer any suggestions.) Even if the OP now wants to re-do the R&R onto CD+DVDs, ThinkVantage won't allow it because it may be done only once.



I've come across the Acronis TrueImage solution, as suggested by LoneWolf15, in various forum threads. I hope it will be helpful.

Reply 7 : Help needed

Hi, I have just downloaded the Acronic Truimage free trial solution. I tried to backup the new thinkpad onto the SSD directly and create a 'rescue disk' on a USB. But when I booted up arconis loader popped up but when Iclicked on 'recovery' in the procedure and tried to boot with the SSD alone, it did not work. Can anyone walk me through the back up and install procedure?

No comments:

Post a Comment