Thursday, March 17, 2011

BD-C6500: Resuming after Paused Bluray Crashes Player

I tried searching but couldn't find any applicable threads. On most BluRay discs that I play on this device, I have the following problem:

When the movie is paused for more than a few minutes, the Samsung screensaver appears. If I try and resume playing the movie, the player stops responding. The player must be power cycled to resume functionality. I can hear the disc drive seeking back and forth while this is going on. The only button on the remote that the player will respond to is the power button.

I am running the latest firmware, I believe (1015.1). Any suggestions?

Reply 1 : BD-C6500: Resuming after Paused Bluray Crashes Player

metaomni,

1015.4 is the newest version for U.S. models.

You can also try stopping the movie with the STOP button - I do know on some models, this will allow you to pick up where you left off as long as the player doesn't turn off. This may vary by models.

--HDTech

Reply 2 : BD-C6500: Resuming after Paused Bluray Crashes Player

You're absolutely right, I misread the firmware line (the TV is in the other room from my computer). I'm running 1015.4.

I'll try stopping instead of pausing, but that does seem to be an odd thing to have to do? Any other suggestions, or is this something where returning the product might be in order?

Reply 3 : BD-C6500: Resuming after Paused Bluray Crashes Player

I have the same issue. If my C6500 is paused for more than a few minutes, it will not restart and I have to cycle the power off entirely. Clearly a bug.

Reply 4 : BD-C6500: Resuming after Paused Bluray Crashes Player

metaomni,

I understand the frustration, and I'm sending this feedback up, but as of now, I don't have a solution for this. Other than the Stop Button, I don't have a suggestion.

You can call the customer service center if you'd like to pursue any other suggestions. That's part of the customer service department, and I can't speak on any of those issues.

--HDTech

Reply 5 : BD-C6500: Resuming after Paused Bluray Crashes Player

Oddly enough I've found somewhat of a work around for this bug. My normal way of resuming a movie was just to hit the "Play" button, which I think is pretty common.

However, I've found that I can avoid the error described in my original post if I instead:
- Press the "Pause" button to clear the screen saver
- Then press the "Play" button to resume the movie.

For whatever reason, this seems to work about 80% of the time, whereas the more common sense method of just hitting "Play" basically never worked.

So for you Googlers out there, try that to see if it fixes your problem.

Reply 6 : BD-C6500: Resuming after Paused Bluray Crashes Player

metaomni,

And I'll be happy to pass that observation up. Thanks for the tip.

Just so I can see for myself, what Blu-Ray disc were you watching when it crashed? Do you recall the general time or scene? I know it sounds like a strange request, but I'm interested in re-creating this if I can.

--HDTech

Reply 7 : BD-C6500: Resuming after Paused Bluray Crashes Player

The pause button did not work for me. The Title Menu or Popup button resumed the movie for me. What I can't figure out is how to resume a movie at the point where I left off, after I power down my bl-ray player then power it back up. The player starts the movie at the beginning and not where I left off.

Reply 8 : BD-C6500: Resuming after Paused Bluray Crashes Player

dmromm,

If the unit is powered down, and then restarted, it loses where it was left off.

--HDTech

Reply 9 : BD-C6500: Resuming after Paused Bluray Crashes Player

It's the dumbest thing that it doesn't start where you left off. Why is it possible that this can be done with DVD's, but not with Blu-Ray movies?

Weird.

At least I figured out how to bookmark.

Reply 10 : BD-C6500: Resuming after Paused Bluray Crashes Player

dmromm,

This will be a pretty unpopular answer, but DVD technology is quite different from how Blu-ray technology works, and has to do with the requirement of the completely different operating system than one that would be employed with a standard DVD player.

This isn't necessarily exclusive to Samsung Blu-ray players, but I certainly understand the expectation and logic that "if a DVD player can do it, a Blu-ray player should also". Unfortunately, there are differences that exist that make this not so.

Again, not a popular answer, but I hope you can at least appreciate the fact that I'm being as straightforward as I can with the answer.

--HDTech

Reply 11 : BD-C6500: Resuming after Paused Bluray Crashes Player

Thanks. I just assume with all the technology out there, there must be a way the designers or inventors can figure this out and have this feature on BD.

No comments:

Post a Comment